Time to Read: 5 Minutes
Azure SQL Database
- Default backup retention period of DTU based Azure SQL databases is changing from 35 days to 7 days. For more details, refer here.
- Default configuration for Azure SQL Database will be either General Purpose 2 vCore database or elastic pool provisioned on Gen 5 hardware. This change enables each new database and elastic Pool to manage compute and storage resources independently and additional cost benefits, for more details click here.
- Azue SQL Database for PostgreSQL now provides preview support for version 11, which has major improvements w.r.t to partitioning, parallelism, stored procedures, Windows function support, and covering indexes, as well as several other performance enhancements. Click here for more Information.
- Azure SQL database now supports maria DB 10.3, Features include temporal data processing and Oracle compatibility, as well as enhancements to compatibility, compression, encryption, and performance. Click here for more information.
- Azure Database for MariaDB now provides preview support for Intelligent Performance, which includes query store, query performance Insights, and performance recommendations. Click here for more information.
- Azure Database for MariaDB now provides preview support for asynchronous replication of data from one Azure Database for MariaDB server (the ‘master’) to up to five Azure Database for MariaDB servers (the ‘replicas’) in the same region. Click here for more information.
- Intelligent Performance for Azure Database for MYSQL is now in Preview, Use this functionality to view a list of recommendations that will help improve the performance of your workloads. Click here for more information.
Azure Analysis Services
- Calculation groups are now officially in public preview for Azure Analysis Services. Calculation groups address the issue of measure proliferation in complex BI models often caused by common calculations like time-intelligence. It is not uncommon for Analysis Services models to have hundreds of base measures. Click here for more information.
- Public preview of Many to Many relationships in Azure Analysis Services, which are based on M2M relationships in Power BI. They allow relationships between tables where both columns are non-unique. Click here for more information.
Azure SQL Database Managed Instance
- 4 vCore Azure SQL Database Managed Instance are now available on Gen 5 hardware which provide more flexibility in appropriately sizing Managed Instance for, Also the price is half as compared to 8 vCore instance of the same tier. For more information click here.
- Azure SQL DB Managed Instance has increased both types of regional limits – the maximum number of subnets and maximum number of instances that could be deployed per region.For more information click here.
Azure SQL Server on Virtual Machine
- Advanced data security which enables Vulnerability Assessment to discover, track, remediate database issues and Advanced threat protection that coninoully monitors database for suspicious activities are now available for free in preview phase. Fore more Information Click here.
Azure Cosmos DB
- Azure cosmos DB SDK now supports direct mode connectivity, which enables applications to send requests to the Azure Cosmos DB backend nodes rather than gateway nodes, resulting in fewer network hops and improved performance for users. For more Information click here.